The Art of Learning
The Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles is pleased to announce its Continuing Education program.
Open to all students with a minimum of three years of Iyengar Yoga experience, regardless of whether they are teachers, prospective teachers or are seeking deeper understanding in their own practices.
The curriculum will include progressive study of asana, pranayama, anatomy and philosophy, based on the Introductory and Intermediate Junior syllabi of the Iyengar Yoga Certification and Teacher Education Manual.
Photo by Karen Lee Fisher
If working with a mentor, students may use these modules toward required teacher education, a pre-requisite to applying for Iyengar Yoga teacher certification assessment. Please refer to the Certification and Teacher Education Manual for further information.
Our calendar for 2019 includes three modules of syllabi study in which the asanas and pranayama of the Introductory syllabi will be studied in practice and theory through the lens of the Intermediate Junior syllabi; an anatomy module focusing on the musculoskeletal system and supported organs, and asana modifications on the Introductory syllabus, taught by Diane Gysbers and Cindy Lee, Occupational Therapist; and two modules focusing on teaching skills required for the Introductory and Jr. Intermediate syllabi, taught by Marla Apt.
Instruction will cover:
- In depth study of asana and pranayama
- Support for home practice and svadhyaya (self-study)
- Refinement of teaching skills as taught by BKS Iyengar: communication of the art and science of yoga through language/verbal instructions, demonstration, observation, correction and adjustment, classroom dynamics
- Sequencing of asanas
- Modifications of asanas for common conditions
- Yoga philosophy and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Anatomy, physiology and psychology of yoga